DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Subject: Registration of Filipinos Abroad for Purposes of Absentee Voting
Reference is made to the following:
- Section 34 of Republic Act No. 10590 mandates that the Department of Foreign Affairs "and other government offices concerned with the welfare of Filipinos overseas shall, to the extent compatible with their primary responsibilities, assist in carrying out provisions of this Act. All such agencies or officers thereof shall take all reasonable measures to expedite all election activities, which the Commission shall require of them."
- Article 6, Rule 2, of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Resolution No. 9843 deputizes the DFA, and mandates that "as deputies, they shall allow the use of the existing facilities, personnel and mechanisms in connection with the election process and assist in carrying out the provisions of OVA of 2003, as amended, and to take all reasonable measures to expedite all election activities which the Commission may require them to do."
- COMELEC Resolution No. 9861 deputizes members of the Foreign Service Corps as representatives of the Commission for the purpose of overseas voter registration in preparation for the 2016 Presidential Elections; and
- COMELEC Minute Resolution from the COMELEC En Banc Meeting held on 17 September 2013 stipulates "for purposes of the May 9, 2016 elections, the filing for registration/certification shall be from May 6, 2014 (Philippine Time) to 31 October 2015 (Philippine Time)."
Pursuant to the above, all Foreign Service Posts are instructed to implement the following effective immediately until 31 October 2015:
- Verify if an applicant renewing his/her passport is a registered Overseas Voter.
- If the applicant is properly registered, Post may proceed with the renewal of the passport.
- If the applicant is not registered, Post shall register him/her as an Overseas Voter first before proceeding with the renewal of the passport.
- This procedure applies to all Filipino immigrants, overseas workers, seafarers, dual citizens and (qualified) students studying abroad.
For strict and immediate compliance.
By the authority of the Secretary of Foreign Affairs:
RAFAEL E. SEGUIS
Pasay City, 17 July 2014
TO ALL DIPOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS